First and foremost, pardon this nasty, blue-tinged picture. Gah! So annoying! Had to take pic with my cell phone as my digi cam was drowned in aqua a few weeks ago. What a rip. Hope to get a new one in the coming weeks… til then… smurf tinted pictures will have to do!
Apple Oat Walnut Muffins
- 2 apples peeled and cored, diced finely
- 1 cup of walnuts chopped coarsely
- 1 cup of kefir (or yogurt)
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 2 cups of organic wheat flour
- 1 cup of old fashioned oats
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp all spice
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp of sea salt
- 1/2 stick of butter at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a bowl combine the egg, brown sugar, and kefir. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix the dry ingredients: flour, oats, spices.
- Add the dry ingredient bowl to the wet mixture.
- Fold in the apples and walnuts.
- Pour into muffin tin sprayed with Pam
- Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with brown sugar and sugar crystals.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450 and then reduce the heat to 400 and bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in tin for 5 minutes and then transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve warm with lashings of country fresh cream butter.
This recipe emerged from 2 left over apples that were sitting on my counter. Diced apples in the muffins adds such a lovely texture- moist and fluffy. You can use this recipe to also make a fabulous cranberry, walnut, oat, and apple bread. Simply add 1 cup of chopped dried cranberries to the mixture and pour into a greased bread pan. Bake for 10 minutes at 450 and then lower the heat to 400 for 10 more minutes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.